Supervisor: dr hab. Klaudia Łączyńska
President: Helena Teleżynska
English-language student theatre The Cheerful Hamlets has been working (almost) nonstop since 1997. It gathers students willing to develop their acting, directing, screenwriting, and generally theatrical skills and interests, who stage plays every year.
Additionally, for six years, the student club has taken part in Pyrkon festival in Poznań. Moreover, it has cooperated with the Irish embassy, performing on their poetry nights.
Every year, in the winter semester, the group organises audition for the candidates. All interested are cordially invited!
The Cheerful Hamlets stage both comedies and dramas. Their last play was “Bard Fiction” directed by Maciej Wiszniewski. The title is no coincidence – it is Tarantineosque, full of absurd and humour, as well as bloody scenes “Pulp Fiction” in the manner of Shakespeare’s plays. The play was staged three times in January 2020, in Centrum Kultury ŁOWICKA.
In summer 2019, the Hamlets performed William Shakespeare’s “The Tragedy of King Richard III” - a drama portraying coming to power and the bloody reign of Richard III, the last English king from the house of York. The play, directed by Helena Teleżyńska and Jakub Kądzielski was presented three times, in SOHO Theatre in Praga district.
The group does not avoid more humorous plays. In winter semester 2018 one could witness a film noir parody – Bill Robens’s “Kill Me, Deadly” – an enigmatic detective story placed in the 40. in LA. The play, directed by Ewa Zook and Paulina Piórkowska, lived long enough to see four stagings in march 2019 – two in CK ŁOWICKA, two in Za Daleki Theatre.
In the course of last years, The Cheerful Hamlets performed:
winter semester 2017/18
- Virginia Woolf’s “Freshwater” directed by Helena Teleżyńska. At the end of September, the play took place in the Institute of English Studies, as a part of the conference From Queen Anne to Queen Victoria.
- “Suite Surrender” by Michael Mckeever, directed by Helena Teleżyńska and Jakub Kądzielski. The play was staged twice at the beginning of March 2018 in CK ŁOWICKA and during Theatre Days NZS UW in Wolskie Centrum Kultury at the end of March.
summer semester 2017/18
- “In Love and Warcraft” by Madhuri Shekar, directed by Anastazja Puhach and Jakub Kądzielski. The performance took place in the middle of May, during the 18th edition of Pyrkon festival.
- Noël Coward’s “Still Life” directed by Patrycja Wysokińska (now a directing student in Theatre Academy), performed in Centrum Kultury ŁOWICKA in July.
winter semester 2018/2019
- Jerome Bixby’s “The Man from Earth” directed by Katarzyna Szyszka and Jan Ziętara was performer twice in February 2019 in Centrum Kultury ŁOWICKA and in April during 19th edition of Pyrkon festival.
- “Kill Me, Deadly”, written by Bill Robens and directed by Paulina Piórkowska and Ewa Zook, performed four times in March – twice in CK Łowicka and twice in Za Daleki Theatre.
summer semester 2018/19
- “The Tragedy of King Richard III” written by William Shakespeare; directed by Helena Teleżyńska and Jakub Kądzielski. There were three performances in July, in SOHO theatre.
winter semester 2019/2020
- “Bard Fiction” directed by Maciej Wiszniewski, staged three times in CK ŁOWICKA.
summer semester 2019/2020
- Hamlets’ minilogues, published on Instagram, which became a part of between.pomiędzy festival.
winter semester 2020/2021
- The pandemics has not prevented Hamlets from organising auditions. Thanks to online meetings, three new Hamletesses were admitted.
- Hamlets prepared recitations of Irish poems with the Irish Embassy, which were published in December on Facebook.
Find The Cheerful Hamlets on social media, where they post pictures, posters, trailers and play recordings!